Employment Policies & Information
LAUMC is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want the best available person in every job. Church policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
All Los Altos United Methodist Church staff members must:
- be sympathetic with the Christian faith and purposes of the United Methodist Church;
- possess the special aptitudes, skills and capacities that are required in their respective fields of work;
- win and hold the cooperation and good will of the people they serve, as well as their associates;
- maintain and keep confidences;
- demonstrate the capacity to learn and to improve their abilities.
LAUMC offers a medical and dental insurance plan for employees scheduled to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Eligibility for this coverage begins on the first day of employment. Premiums are paid in full for full-time employees (40 hours per week) and 75% for part-time staff (30-39 hours per week). All covered employees contribute a small monthly fee to defray the cost of insurance. Vacation and sick leave are accrued for all employees. A generous holiday schedule is posted each year. As a non-profit, religious organization, we do not participate in the California Unemployment Insurance Program or the State Disability Program (SDI).
At Will Employment
Employment at LAUMC is “at will,” which means that employment may be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time by an employee or by the Church. No supervisor or employee of the Church has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.
Suggestions for improving LAUMC are always welcome. We maintain an “open door” policy and provide steps to follow to express an employee’s issues of concern without fear of retaliation. We hope each LAUMC employee finds their work here rewarding and challenging. We select our new employees carefully because we believe that every member of the staff plays a key role in the success of the Church.
On the Staff of the Los Altos United Methodist Church for a
Los Altos UMC is seeking a part-time (20 hours per week) Communications Coordinator to assist the Director of Communications in keeping the congregation and community informed about church news, events, and opportunities to serve. Responsibilities include writing and updating content for email newsletters, bulletins, print newsletters, Web, social media, posters, and other channels. The Communications Coordinator will be in regular contact with church staff and congregation members who are planning church events and programs to get details about each program for publication. A commitment to the success of Christian ministry is key to success in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solicit information about upcoming events and programs and reports of finished events from church staff and congregation members to publicize
- Maintain an editorial calendar to track when events will be published in each communications channel
- Update weekly announcements about events and opportunities in the Sunday bulletin
- Develop and distribute weekly and monthly email newsletters to the whole congregation and to specific ministry audiences
- Write and edit news articles in a uniform voice for the monthly print newsletter
- Adapt news articles for Web usage and post on the church website
- Schedule and develop content for regular social media posts
- Check the church website regularly for outdated content and update as needed
- Design posters to promote events as needed
- Provide information about church-sponsored programs and events to community news media
- Work with the Director of Communications to evaluate, update, and add communications channels to more effectively reach the congregation and community
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Associate’s degree required, bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-4 years of related employment experience
- Strong organizational skills
- News writing experience
- Grammar and proofreading ability
- Experienced collaborator and team player
- Intermediate skills in publishing, WordPress, and MS Office applications
- Email communications and social networking skills
- Able to perform computer input with speed and accuracy
- Able to commute reliably to the LAUMC campus
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org