Employment Policies & Information
LAUMC is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want the best available person in every job. Church policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
All Los Altos United Methodist Church staff members must:
- be sympathetic with the Christian faith and purposes of the United Methodist Church;
- possess the special aptitudes, skills and capacities that are required in their respective fields of work;
- win and hold the cooperation and good will of the people they serve, as well as their associates;
- maintain and keep confidences;
- demonstrate the capacity to learn and to improve their abilities.
LAUMC offers a medical and dental insurance plan for employees scheduled to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Eligibility for this coverage begins on the first day of employment. Premiums are paid in full for full-time employees (40 hours per week) and 75% for part-time staff (30-39 hours per week). All covered employees contribute a small monthly fee to defray the cost of insurance. Vacation and sick leave are accrued for all employees. A generous holiday schedule is posted each year. As a non-profit, religious organization, we do not participate in the California Unemployment Insurance Program or the State Disability Program (SDI).
At Will Employment
Employment at LAUMC is “at will,” which means that employment may be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time by an employee or by the Church. No supervisor or employee of the Church has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.
Suggestions for improving LAUMC are always welcome. We maintain an “open door” policy and provide steps to follow to express an employee’s issues of concern without fear of retaliation. We hope each LAUMC employee finds their work here rewarding and challenging. We select our new employees carefully because we believe that every member of the staff plays a key role in the success of the Church.
Job Title: Director of Children’s Ministries
Reports To: Minister of Community Engagement
Directly Supervises: Administrative Assistant for Children’s Ministries, Nursery Care and Summer Programs Staff
Employment Status: Full time
Effective Date: July 1, 2017
Job Summary: Serve in ministry to nurture the faith development of children ages birth through 8th grade, in partnership with their families.
- Develop, organize, and direct Children’s Ministries programs, including:
- Sunday School (age appropriate, comprehensive plan for faith development)
- Safety and Emergency Procedures Training for Volunteers
- Nursery and Church Childcare Staffing
- First Aid and CPR Training for all Nursery Staff
- Vacation Bible School
- August Children’s Camp
- Summer Movie Nights
- Parents’ Night Out
- Respite Events
- Special Needs Ministry
- Creekside Christmas
- Occasional Special Events
- Provide management supervision and support for:
- Administrative Assistant
- Nursery Care Staff
- 2–4 Volunteer Sunday School Superintendents
- Sunday School Teachers
- Summer Programs Staff
- Summer Programs Volunteers
- Serve as a member and/or staff liaison of:
- Pastoral Care Team
- Sanctuary Team
- Church Council
- Children’s Ministry Committee
- Worship Design Team
- Deepening Faith Committee
- Staff Meetings
- Emergency and Safety Committee
- Children’s Center Preschool Board of Directors
- Serve in ministry and nurture relationships in our community as an advocate, role model, and faith mentor for children and their families.
- Research, create and implement Children’s Ministries curriculum to meet the faith development needs of our children.
- Recruit, train, equip, and support volunteers to serve in ministry with personal contact and weekly newsletters. Develop strong and positive relationships with the parents and families of children at LAUMC, including monthly or bi-monthly newsletters/communication.
- Design, update and oversee adherence to the “LAUMC Staff and Volunteer Child Protection Policy” and “Policies and Procedures for Care of Children.”
- Plan and manage an annual budget for the operation of Children’s Ministries.
- Create and publicize events and activities through media, including: annual brochure, regular communications, e-news, website, Facebook page, Good News, and occasional special event postcard home to the children.
- Create and implement a calendar of events for this ministry that reflects the mission statement of our church and Children’s Ministries.
- Develop and facilitate our Special Needs Ministry for children and support for parents.
- Communicate regularly with the director of youth ministries, director of the Children’s Center, and MUMs and WMIF chairpersons for a comprehensive understanding of all LAUMC children’s programs.
- Attend district and conference assignments and conferences as requested.
- Pursue continuing education through study and/or attending conferences/classes that would strengthen the ministry.
- BA or BS and/or equivalent, Christian Education or Early Childhood Education desirable
- Five years of experience in Children’s Ministries, as church staff member or lay leader preferred
- Strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills to plan and organize ministry events
- Strengths in vision, creativity, and enthusiastic leadership
- Project management skills with an ability to build, nurture, and lead teams of volunteers and staff
- Teaching experience either as a volunteer, substitute, or full-time teacher in a classroom, preschool, or Sunday school (preferably Sunday school)
- Commitment to the Christian tradition
- Personal conduct that reflects positively on the integrity of the Church with firm, confident and safe personal boundaries
- Ability to work collegially in a team ministry format
- Commitment to continuing education in area of expertise
- Stamina to stand, sit, kneel, and work with children
- Ability to commute reliably to the LAUMC campus
- Able to lift 25 pounds
- Able to perform computer input and access with speed and accuracy
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.