Employment Policies & Information
LAUMC is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want the best available person in every job. Church policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
All Los Altos United Methodist Church staff members must:
- be sympathetic with the Christian faith and purposes of the United Methodist Church;
- possess the special aptitudes, skills and capacities that are required in their respective fields of work;
- win and hold the cooperation and good will of the people they serve, as well as their associates;
- maintain and keep confidences;
- demonstrate the capacity to learn and to improve their abilities.
LAUMC offers a medical and dental insurance plan for employees scheduled to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Eligibility for this coverage begins on the first day of employment. Premiums are paid in full for full-time employees (40 hours per week) and 75% for part-time staff (30-39 hours per week). All covered employees contribute a small monthly fee to defray the cost of insurance. Vacation and sick leave are accrued for all employees. A generous holiday schedule is posted each year. As a nonprofit, religious organization, we do not participate in the California Unemployment Insurance Program or the State Disability Program (SDI).
At Will Employment
Employment at LAUMC is “at will,” which means that employment may be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time by an employee or by the Church. No supervisor or employee of the Church has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.
Suggestions for improving LAUMC are always welcome. We maintain an “open door” policy and provide steps to follow to express an employee’s issues of concern without fear of retaliation. We hope each LAUMC employee finds their work here rewarding and challenging. We select our new employees carefully because we believe that every member of the staff plays a key role in the success of the Church.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant for Children’s Ministries
Reports To: Director of Children’s Ministries
Directly Supervises: N/A
Employment Status: Full time
Effective Date: July 2017
Job Summary: Provide administrative support to Director of Children’s Ministries. Assist with Sunday School classes, Vacation Bible School, other children’s programs and special events.
- Create, input and maintain records for children, parents, and volunteers involved with Sunday school classes, Vacation Bible School (VBS) and special events including registrations, special reports, communications, attendance and weekly statistical reports.
- Assist in the development of programs for yearly Sunday School, VBS and other Children’s Ministries events, including curriculum and classroom organization; create badges, name tags and labels, supplies & material ordering, T-shirt design and ordering.
- Download, update and maintain all Sunday School curricula for director and teachers on a monthly basis.
- Assist with recruiting Sunday School teachers and other Children’s Ministries volunteers.
- Design, produce, publish and distribute flyers, guides, posters, brochures, invitations, training materials and notifications regarding Sunday School, VBS, and other Children’s Ministries programs and events.
- Create, design, produce, publish and distribute parent, family, community and teacher weekly news/e-letters.
- Be available as the liaison for first-contact-in-care-concerns addressed to the director, mainly in the Sunday School community but not limited to that community.
- Manage group email communications to the Children’s Ministries community.
- Actively participate in Sunday School as a classroom teacher on a weekly basis.
- Serve as a resource and sounding board for Children’s Ministries curriculum development and classroom management.
- Assist in teacher, volunteer and/or parent/family surveys as needed by the director.
- Update the LAUMC Children’s Ministries webpages on a regular basis.
- Order supplies.
- AA degree or equivalent preferred
- Two years of office administration experience preferred
- Experience with children in the classroom
- Excellent grammar and proofreading ability
- Advanced Internet and computer skills
- Informing Others
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Creativity and Innovation
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personal Resilience
- Time Management
- Helping Orientation
- Priority Setting
- Project Management
- Able to perform computer input with speed and accuracy
- Ability to commute reliably to the LAUMC campus
- Able to easily travel walkways and stairs/ramps between buildings on campus
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.